Gokyo Lake Trekking
Gokyo valley trek has large glacier and lakes close to the base camp of the Cho Oyu (8216m). This is a popular and classic trek in the upper reaches of the Khumbu valley. The Khumbu region is comprehensibly one of the most popular and spectacular destinations for adventure seekers and offers the best opportunity to achieve the Himalayan experience. This trek begins with a dramatic scenic flight to Lukla (2820m). On the second day we arrive at Namche Bazzar where acclimatization is required for the trek, resting for one day. This trek takes in the ascent of Gokyo Ri (5430m), from where you will have breath taking views and charming scenery. There are many glacial lakes in the surrounding area which is most attractive for trekkers. The main destination is Gokyo Ri (5430m) from where Himalayan views including the worlds highest peak Mt. Everest (8848m), Cho Oyu (8216m) Lhotse the fourth highest (8540m) and many more above 6000m can be seen.
Sagarmatha National Park is listed as a world heritage site, which covers the Everest region and offers spectacular views of the high mountains as well as friendly Sherpa people, who break records to climb Everest, the highest mountain in the world. Himalayan wildlife commonly seen is musk deer, mountain goats, colourful pheasants and possibly the Monal, the national bird of Nepal. Rare species of Red Panda & Snow Leopard are also another attraction for visitors. Pine and birch tree are common here, as well as colourful rhododendron flowers welcomes you in spring. Monasteries can be found in most places in the lower Khumbu region and fluttering flags can be seen everywhere. This is a popular classic trek making it a once in a life time experience.
Fact of Trek
Trek: Gokyo Lake
Trek starts: Lukla
Trek duration: 14 days
Grade: Moderate to Strenuous
Maximum height: 5430m
Minimum group size: One pax
Trek ends: Lukla
Day 01: Arrive at Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu and a representative of Nepal Adventure Guide will welcome and transfer you to your selected hotel by private vehicle.
Day 02: Sightseeing in Kathmandu valley by private vehicle with an expert tour guide.
• Kathmandu Durbar Square
• Swayambhunath (Monkey Temple)
• Boudhanath Stupa (Large white Buddhist Stupa)
• Pashupatinath (Hindu Temple)
• Patan Durbar Square (Ancient city)
• Bhaktapur Durbar Square (55-window palace)
Day 03: Fly to Lukla (2800m) & trek to Phakding (2652m) walking (4-5) hours stay overnight at lodge.
Day 04: Trek to Namche Bazaar (3440m) walking (6-7) hours stay overnight at lodge.
Day 05: Acclimatization day at Namche Bazaar and visit the Khumjung valley where the school and hospital at Khunde was sponsored by Sir Edmund Hillary. The first views of Mt. Everest, Ama Dablam and Thamserku can be seen from here. Then trek back to Namche Bazaar stay overnight same lodge.
Day 06: Trek to Dole (4200m) walking (6-7) hours stay overnight at lodge.
Day 07: Trek to Machermo (4470m) walking (4-5) hours stay overnight at lodge.
Day 08: Trek to Gokyo (4760m) walking (4 hrs) after lunch visit 5th lake then back to Gokyo. Stay overnight at lodge.
Day 09: Early morning ascend Gokyo Ri (5430m) (2 hrs) and back to lodge then trek to Machermo walking (6-7) hours stay overnight at lodge.
Day 10: Trek to Monjo (2860m) walking (6 hrs) stay overnight at lodge.
Day 11: Trek to Lukla (2800m) walking (5-6) hrs stay overnight at lodge.
Day 12: Fly to Kathmandu (35 minutes) Transfer to hotel in Kathmandu.
Day 13: Souvenir and sightseeing in Kathmandu.
Day 14: A representative of Nepal Adventure Guide will drop you off at Tribhuvan International Airport by private vehicle.
I can customise this trek if you have more time.
- Airport pick-up and drop off by private vehicle.
- Four nights in your selected Kathmandu hotel with breakfast.
- A full day’s sightseeing in Kathmandu by private vehicle.
- All meals during the trek (lunch, dinner, breakfast and tea or coffee).
- Accommodation in lodges or guest houses.
- One English speaking government trained license holder and well informed trekking guide.
- One porter for two people to carry luggage.
- All expenses for guide and porters - meals, accommodation, salary, equipment, insurance, transportation by flights etc.
- First Aid kit bag.
- Government and local area taxes where applicable.
- TIMS card fees (Trekking Information Management System).
- Return transportation from Kathmandu to Lukla by flight.
- Sagarmatha National Park entry fees (See the ‘Trekking Permits’ link under ‘Trekking Info’ for current fees)
- Nepalese entry visa fee. (See the ‘Visa Information’ link under ‘Trekking Info’ for current fees)
- Travel insurance.
- Soft and alcoholic drinks (mineral water, hot water, coke, fanta, beer, spirits, etc).
- Snacks (Chocolate, biscuits etc).
- Hot water, hot shower, heater charge, battery charge, phone calls and laundry service.
- Donation, tips and personal expenses.
- Emergency evacuation and medical equipment.
- Hire equipment and other personal items (sleeping bag, down jacket, hiking boots camera, toilet rolls etc).
- In case of natural calamities i.e. political unrest, cancellation of flight due to weather, landslides, etc, the extra charge will be borne by themselves.
- Lunch and dinner in Kathmandu.
I met Jaya in April 2007, who guided me on the Gokyo - Cho La pass - Everest Base Camp
The climbing peaks of Nepal can be broadly categorized into groups 'A' and 'B'. The categorization
Nepal is a multi-lingual, multi-religious and multi-ethnic country. As a result the number of
We provide you infinite choices of Hotel accommodations in Nepal ranging from
It is our pleasure to notify you that you can book both domestic international air
Tibet is a wealthy and gorgeous land with an average elevation over 4,000m
Jaya Gurung (Tour Operator)
Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal